Thursday 20th May
Emails & calls from Dave at ABC First Email: The weather overnight at 7800m
was Windy together with some snow fall. The 7.30am radio call included quite a
bit of discussion as to what to do, move up, stay put or abandon the summit
attempt. The weather forecast shows a reasonable summit window for Friday and
a chance of precipitation today Thursday together with winds 20-30knts. Other
groups have summitted this morning (Thursday) or are close to the summit in
clear weather and minimal wind, ABC is wind free so it appears the group are
in a band of cloud and wind at 7800m.
The group have
decided to push up to the top camp at 8300m in the hope that the winds and
snow they are experiencing will gradually drop. Next update 2.5hrs
Second Email: The group finally decided the weather was too windy to move up
to 8300m today and are spending tonight at 7800m in the hope that the weather
will have improved by morning for a new summit attempt on the 22nd.
Unfortunately if it remains the same, our summit will be abandoned and the
group will return to ABC.
The past four
days have shown a similar forecast, we have been unlucky to date with the
amount of precipitation that has fallen; hopefully things will come good in
7am this morning: The group are all ok, they are currently looking after other
climbers that summited yesterday & today that are arriving into their camp in
bad ways, and they are making them hot drinks and getting them warm. Mike is
currently on his way down the North Col back to ABC to join Dave.
confirmed today that the team will leave for the summit at around 1am on
Saturday morning (weather depending), and that Summit Turn around time will be
11am (6am our time)
Digital Altimeter, Barometer, Compass and Thermometer. Time/Date/Alarms.
Chronograph with 24 hour working range. Timer with stop, repeat and up
function. Rotating Bezel. Leveling bubble. Carabiner latch. E.L. 3 second
backlight. Water resistant. 4" x 2-1/4" x 3/4" 2 oz. Requires 1 CR2032
See more here.