Page down for the latest updates..
Cho-Oyu first, then
Yeritsian - Cho-Oyu & Everest 2004 I am heading to Himalayas this spring
for Cho-Oyu/Everest double header.
Mt. Cho-Oyu (8201m /
26,651 ft) - North West Ridge route.
Mt. Everest (8848m / 29,030
ft) - North Col / North Face / Norton Couloir route (variation). I will be
climbing alone... unsupported... no supplemental oxygen. Mt. Cho-Oyu is the
6th highest mountain in the world. I'll approach the mountain from Tibet
(China), to attempt the NW Ridge route ("normal route").
After Mt. Cho-Oyu (assuming
everything goes well) I will move to Mt. Everest (North side). The idea is to
try an Alpine style accent via North Col/ North Face/Norton Couloir...
Needless to say, I will need lots of luck with weather... I hope the mountains
will have some mercy on me :-) "Asian Trekking (P) Ltd" will make all
transportation and Base camp related arrangements for me...
Update One: Hello Everestnews readers,
...checking in from Kathmandu... 04.04.04...arrived in time this
afternoon...getting ready to leave for Tibet tomorrow morning. It will take me
a few days to get to Cho-Oyu. Later, Ray Yeritsian.
Update Two: Hi there, ...Ray
here, from Zangmu (Tibet 04.06.04).
So far so good. Everything
goes as planned....crossed the Chinese border without problems, now waiting
for my gear to arrive (sometime tomorrow).
Next stop is the village "nyalam"
(means "road to hell")... you figure :-) The most exciting thing so far, the
"goodbye kiss" at LAX... it was intense:-) Later, Ray Yeritsian.
Hello EverestNews.com readers, I
am in Nyalam ("The road to hell") for the second day now. The altitude here is
3600m (to convert m to ft just multiply by 3.28). I am leaving for my next
destination (Tingri) tomorrow... will not have access to Internet or Sat phone
for a while, till I get to Cho-Oyu Base camp (ABC - advance base camp at
If you don't get updates for
a week or so, just be patient, please... went for an "innocent" hike after
breakfast this morning...it turned into a "speed" hike... from 3600m to 4700m
in 2 and a half hours... I guess I wanted to "test" myself one more time
before Cho-Oyu (an old habit, related to my main occupation, "software
development" :-)... no "bugs" so far :) Later, Ray.
p.s. "road to hell" thing
about Nyalam, it is made of concrete for some reason, not asphalt... :-)
Update 4 4/19/2004:
"Dear EverestNews.com Readers:
Ray called yesterday to inform us that everything is going according
to schedule, he said that he would set up his first camp at 6400 m by today.
He is in good shape and high spirits, and keeping his fingers crossed for good
weather. Marina, David and Gary." Thank you, Marina
Dear EverestNews.com Readers:
After spending one night at Camp One at 6400 m Ray came back to Base Camp due
to bad weather. It has been snowing for 3-4 days now. Ray will be setting up
his second camp at 7200 m after the snow clears. Thank you, Marina.
"Dear EverestNews.com Readers:
Ray called from Katmandu today and informed me that he stopped his push for
the summit of Cho-Oyu and came down from the altitude of 7200 m due to
symptoms of PE (accumulation of fluid in the lungs and severe breathing
problems). He made his decision to descend all the way to Katmandu and
postpone his Everest attempt until next year because of lack of time, as there
are only two weeks left until the end of the season, and he will not be able
to recover in time. Thanks, Marina".