Home

   Everest 04 Home
   Today's News
  
Banners Ads
   Bookstore
  
Contact

   Downloads
   E-mail (Free)
  
Educational
  
Facts
  
Games
  
Gear
  
History
  
Interviews 
  
Mailing List

   Media

   Medical
  
News (current)
   Sat Phones
   Search Everest 2004
   Speakers
   Readers Guide
   Risks

   Trip Reports
   Visitor Agreement

   Volunteer/help

 

    
  

 

  




  Mt. Everest 2004: Irish Expedition Update


Update 8: April 18 Base Camp Wyeth snowbound: another day of frustration

The sound of the alarm clock rings in my ear. Its 3am again and  time to get a move on the ice fall. I know before I even dress, that the probability is that we will once again have to cancel our trip. As I move to get ready, I hit the side of my tent and an avalanche of snow cascades off its sides; a sure sign that conditions are not good for today.

I can hear Clare and the Sherpa team readying for our rendezvous meeting in the mess tent at 3:30am. I feel like roaring to them to go
back to bed, but they would just think I am lazy. No other alternative but to put on all my warm cloths and move.

Dawa and Tenzing, our cooks, have breakfast ready for us and as always ensure that it's a healthy one, enabling us to have strength for the task ahead. Dawa believes a good breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Today's delight is two boiled eggs each and rice pudding.

A general discussion about conditions over breakfast with the rest of the team has us all thinking the same way. It's too dangerous, too risky; it would be better and safer for everyone to wait another day for the weather to improve. After breakfast, everyone retires to their tent; no hurry in the morning - we can all sleep in. This type of situation is always a little frustrating, but climbing Everest is about making safe decisions, no matter how enthusiastic you may feel. There are too many things outside of our control that can go wrong.
 

The rest of the day was spent tiding up the mess tent and the kitchen tent. The weather forecast looks better for tomorrow so we are quietly optimistic that tomorrow will allow us to get to Camp 2.

Dispatch 24 - April 17th: Ready to go at 4am for Camp 2, 'Lowe Alpine'. The early start is to ensure we make it through the ice fall before the heat of the day makes it too unstable, - not that it is ever very stable, as it is constantly moving.

Two hours into the climb we get news from higher on the glacier that a massive serac fall has taken out 150 meters of the route to Camp 2. There was no use in trying to force our way through; it would just be too dangerous to move through this section of unstable ice.

All climbers and Sherpas were cut off from ascending or descending the mountain. Those below and above the break were trapped, unable to move from their respective camps until such a time as the route would be re-fixed. This is a job for the ice fall doctors. Each team on the mountain has agreed to pay a local group of Sherpas to fix and maintain the route from Base Camp to Camp two in the best interest of group peace between the different teams on the mountain.

In late morning, the weather deteriorated; a low front descended on Base Camp and it began to snow. Our intention is to try for Camp 2 again in the morning. This will depend on the route being re-fixed and weather conditions improving. Fingers crossed we'll be able to move.

As light entertainment for the afternoon, we set up the computer in the mess tent and played the Imax Everest film and Caravan for the Sherpas and ourselves just to while away a few hours.


Whiling away the hours in the mess tent

Text from Pat - April 17th ;Pat and Clare's attempt to move up onto the mountain to reach Camp 2 was thwarted today by a serac fall within the Khumbu Icefall which has blocked the way to Camp 1 and beyond. The team is back at Base Camp Wyeth and a new way around the collapse will be attempted tomorrow.

April 16th: Good news from Kathmandu, John has been checked out medically in one of the top high altitude clinics in the country. They confirm that John will make a full recovery and should be able to return to Ireland in the next few days. This, as you can imagine, is a great relief to Clare, the Sherpas and myself here at Base Camp. He is now being looked after in Kathmandu by my good friends Ang-Rita Sherpa and Sumba Sherpa; he couldn't be in better hands.

Well, the expedition continues here at Base Camp Wyeth as we prepare to make a further foot hold on Everest in the next few days. After hearing the good news from Kathmandu, we have made ready all of the gear we require to establish Camp 2, Lowe Alpine at 21,500ft tomorrow. We are looking forward to putting the Irish team higher on the mountain but do not relish the thought of having to once again to go through the ice fall.

Dispatches

Pat Falvey, veteran expedition leader, Everest climber, author and motivational speaker.

To book Pat Falvey on his 'AGAINST THE SKY' LECTURE TOUR. e-mail us at

Altitech2: Digital Altimeter, Barometer, Compass and Thermometer. Time/Date/Alarms. Chronograph with 24 hour working range. Timer with stop, repeat and up function. Rotating Bezel. Leveling bubble. Carabiner latch. E.L. 3 second backlight. Water resistant. 4" x 2-1/4" x 3/4" 2 oz. Requires 1 CR2032 battery. See more here.

 






 

  Altitude pre-
  
acclimatization

   Ascenders

   Atlas snowshoes

   Black Diamond

   Botas

   Brunton

   Carabiners

   CaVa Climbing Shoes
   Clearance

   Clif Bar

   CMI

   Crampons

   Edelweiss ropes
  
Eureka Tents

   Featured

   FoxRiver

   Garmin

   Granite Gear

   Harnesses
   Headlamps
   Helmets

   HighGear
   Ice Axes

   Kavu Eyewear

   Katadyn

   Kong

   Lekisport

   Lowepro

   Motorola

   Nalgene

   New England Ropes

   Nikwax

   Omega

   Outdoor Designs

   Pelican

   PowerBar

   Princeton Tec

   Prescription Glacier

   Glasses

   Primus

   Rope Bags

   Seattle Sports

   Serius
  
Sleeping Bags

   Stubai

   Suunto

   Tents

   Trekking Poles
   Ushba
  
and more here

 

 



  



Send email to     •   Copyright© 1998-2003 EverestNews.com
All rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, Visitor Agreement, Legal Notes: Read it