Home

   Everest 04 Home
   Today's News
  
Banners Ads
   Bookstore
  
Contact

   Downloads
   E-mail (Free)
  
Educational
  
Facts
  
Games
  
Gear
  
History
  
Interviews 
  
Mailing List

   Media

   Medical
  
News (current)
   Sat Phones
   Search Everest 2004
   Speakers
   Readers Guide
   Risks

   Trip Reports
   Visitor Agreement

   Volunteer/help

 

    
  

 

  




  Mt. Everest 2004: Irish Expedition: If the Ghosts of Everest were haunting my sleep


Dispatch - NEWSFLASH: Weather forecast from 3 different satellite sources have been weighed up and a summit attempt may be made over the next few days.

Climbers, tomorrow Friday, will leave Base Camp Wyeth for Camp 2 Lowe Alpine.

Ongoing assessment of weather and climbers themselves will dictate further progress.

May 13: Yesterday evening Clare and Pat returned early from their rest in Dingboche. This is because of promising weather conditions received. It appears that a window exists between 15th and 18th. This is an opportunity to make a fast summit push.

For several hours last night, the team examined various weather forecasts. Discrepancies between the wind speed and temperatures were scrutinised. After much analysis a decision was made.

Today will be used to pack all necessary supplies for a summit push. Food, fuel, medical supplies and communications equipment all have to checked and packed. At 7.00am, Base Camp Wyeth is bustling with activity. While the climbers have to concentrate on their own duties, the support team have to ensure that all communications systems are functional. Everyone has to be sure that they have their work done. Monitoring of weather forecasts keeps the climbers informed of any changes. Presently it appears that until the 18th looks good. Yet, the various sources have slight differences in the forecasts. Varying wind speeds and temperatures are reasons for constant vigilance. It is important for weather analysis to be as accurate as possible.

Pemba has arrived back from his rest early also. He too saw the change in the weather and left Namche yesterday and stayed in Pheriche last night. He arrived here at 9.00am this morning.

Final adjustments and checking of all equipment is taking place as food, fuel and medical supplies are sorted out and packed.

Camp 1, Camp 2 Lowe Alpine and Camp 3 Spórt Corrán Tuathail are established and are ready to support a summit attempt.


Eating well at Camp 2


Camp 3 Spórt Corrán Tuathail

Supplies have been left at the High Camp Wyeth at the South Col. All the climbers - Sherpa and Irish - are fit, strong and well prepared.

On the 14th the climbers will depart for their summit attempt. All that is needed is for the weather to hold.

We received a phone call a couple of days ago at base camp from John Joyce. He was calling us all the way from Galway to wish us luck as we approach the last leg of the expedition. It was great to hear from him but also very sad for us that he couldn’t be with us at this time. We are happy to report that John is recovering well at home in Galway and is in great form. He would like to thank everyone for all the kind words and well wishes he has received over the past few weeks.

John has been back at work at his Insurance and Auctioneering business in Tuam since last week. "Its Great to be home safe and sound! At first I was content with the decision to come down off the mountain, however, as time goes by and as I am feeling stronger disappointment is building". "I am in close contact with Pat and Clare and am confident that they will make it".

John wishes to sincerely thank all those who sent cards, phoned and e-mailed messages of support "It was over whelming how interested and concerned people have been - my thanks to each and everyone of them". The amount of interest in County Galway in the expedition is immense, it seems it certainly caught peoples imaginations - The next week will be valid for Pat and Clare as they now have to position themselves on the South Col to enable them have a bid at the summit".

Dispatches

Pat Falvey, veteran expedition leader, Everest climber, author and motivational speaker.

To book Pat Falvey on his 'AGAINST THE SKY' LECTURE TOUR. e-mail us at

Altitech2: Digital Altimeter, Barometer, Compass and Thermometer. Time/Date/Alarms. Chronograph with 24 hour working range. Timer with stop, repeat and up function. Rotating Bezel. Leveling bubble. Carabiner latch. E.L. 3 second backlight. Water resistant. 4" x 2-1/4" x 3/4" 2 oz. Requires 1 CR2032 battery. See more here.

 






 

  Altitude pre-
  
acclimatization

   Ascenders

   Atlas snowshoes

   Black Diamond

   Botas

   Brunton

   Carabiners

   CaVa Climbing Shoes
   Clearance

   Clif Bar

   CMI

   Crampons

   Edelweiss ropes
  
Eureka Tents

   Featured

   FoxRiver

   Garmin

   Granite Gear

   Harnesses
   Headlamps
   Helmets

   HighGear
   Ice Axes

   Kavu Eyewear

   Katadyn

   Kong

   Lekisport

   Lowepro

   Motorola

   Nalgene

   New England Ropes

   Nikwax

   Omega

   Outdoor Designs

   Pelican

   PowerBar

   Princeton Tec

   Prescription Glacier

   Glasses

   Primus

   Rope Bags

   Seattle Sports

   Serius
  
Sleeping Bags

   Stubai

   Suunto

   Tents

   Trekking Poles
   Ushba
  
and more here

 

 



  



Send email to     •   Copyright© 1998-2003 EverestNews.com
All rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, Visitor Agreement, Legal Notes: Read it