K2 2004 - 50 years later
K2 South – Currently several
climbers at camp 2 and expected to moved up....older dispatches below....
K2 South: Ready for the
summit, awaiting good weather - July 23, 2004
There is a strong wind
and snow on the great mountain, but the climbers of K2 2004 remain at their
camps, waiting to take advantage of the next good weather window, which should
open up tomorrow.
The weather on K2 South
has changed once again. Today's dawn awakening had a nasty surprise for us:
abundant snow all the way down to base camp, and strong winds on the
The departure of the
last group of climbers, planned for today was therefore postponed.
The other climbers on
the mountain who had reached camps I and II yesterday, remain on the mountain,
ready to take advantage of the coming good weather which should be stable as
predicted, beginning tomorrow.
Good news from K2. On
the other side of the thick clouds still present on the summit, the weather
seems to be stabilizing. Our appointment for the climb is therefore postponed
17:45 p.m. at base
This is not an easy day
which has forced us to be closed in our tents at over 6000 meters with the
tent whipped by the winds. Our minds are still focused on the summit and the
first question out of every climber's mouth up at the high camps is "what are
tomorrow's weather predictions?"
"The weather report for
Saturday, July 24th, is predicting sunny weather and not too strong a wind on
K2", reports the mellow voice of Patrizia Broggi, on the radio receiver.
Our appointment with the
summit is therefore postponed until tomorrow!
copyright Italian expedition Everest/K2 2004 expedition
Digital Altimeter, Barometer, Compass and Thermometer. Time/Date/Alarms.
Chronograph with 24 hour working range. Timer with stop, repeat and up
function. Rotating Bezel. Leveling bubble. Carabiner latch. E.L. 3 second
backlight. Water resistant. 4" x 2-1/4" x 3/4" 2 oz. Requires 1 CR2032
See more here.