Home

   Everest 04 Home
   Today's News
  
Banners Ads
   Bookstore
  
Contact

   Downloads
   E-mail (Free)
  
Educational
  
Facts
  
Games
  
Gear
  
History
  
Interviews 
  
Mailing List

   Media

   Medical
  
News (current)
   Sat Phones
   Search Everest 2004
   Speakers
   Readers Guide
   Risks

   Trip Reports
   Visitor Agreement

   Volunteer/help

 

    
  

 

  




  Stuart Peacock K2 Expedition 2004 Dispatch 10


Hi Folks, Sad news I'm afraid, our summit attempt of K2 is over. We headed up the mountain 2 days ago. Chris turned round en-route to camp 1 and managed to get avalanched on his descent. He's Ok though slightly bruised and a cut nose.

The decision came yesterday dinner after receiving an updated weather forecast from Chris. The predicted good spell leading up to Sunday had changed with high winds building up. We reached a height of 6400m on the way to camp 2. The weather had worsened during the morning and I finally decided that if the summit was out of the question it wasn't worth going any higher in progressively worse conditions. It is a shame having spent so little time on the mountain, I had been moving well and had conditions been right I believe I could have got a good way up the mountain. However with the updated forecast we all agree it was the right decision.

We had decided before setting off that this would be our only attempt on the summit, with a full on 5 day push to the summit, luck and weather definitely had to be on our side. We plan to start heading out on the 30th of this month. Many teams have also brought forward there departure dates believing that there is no more good weather to be had.

All the team believe we could not have done any better in the time we have had on both mountains and we shall just have to put this one down to experience of the very unusual weather system out here.

Once the porters arrive we have a 3 day walk out and then one days jeep drive to Skardu. Hopefully we can get the flight back to Islamabad where we can relax by the pool in our 5 star hotel for a couple of days before heading back home. All being well we will return to England on or around 5th August.

Next update probably from Islamabad.

Regards, Stu

Stu summited Everest and made a movie in which he filmed most of the route click on the picture below to see more about this video (DVD and VHS).

 

Dispatches

 
Altitech2: Digital Altimeter, Barometer, Compass and Thermometer. Time/Date/Alarms. Chronograph with 24 hour working range. Timer with stop, repeat and up function. Rotating Bezel. Leveling bubble. Carabiner latch. E.L. 3 second backlight. Water resistant. 4" x 2-1/4" x 3/4" 2 oz. Requires 1 CR2032 battery. See more here.

 






 

  Altitude pre-
  
acclimatization

   Ascenders

   Atlas snowshoes

   Black Diamond

   Botas

   Brunton

   Carabiners

   CaVa Climbing Shoes
   Clearance

   Clif Bar

   CMI

   Crampons

   Edelweiss ropes
  
Eureka Tents

   Featured

   FoxRiver

   Garmin

   Granite Gear

   Harnesses
   Headlamps
   Helmets

   HighGear
   Ice Axes

   Kavu Eyewear

   Katadyn

   Kong

   Lekisport

   Lowepro

   Motorola

   Nalgene

   New England Ropes

   Nikwax

   Omega

   Outdoor Designs

   Pelican

   PowerBar

   Princeton Tec

   Prescription Glacier

   Glasses

   Primus

   Rope Bags

   Seattle Sports

   Serius
  
Sleeping Bags

   Stubai

   Suunto

   Tents

   Trekking Poles
   Ushba
  
and more here

 

 



  



Send email to     •   Copyright© 1998-2003 EverestNews.com
All rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, Visitor Agreement, Legal Notes: Read it